About Me

My photo
I love life. I love God. I love laughter. Yet I am far more complex than this.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Let the music come alive. . .

Hello my wonderfuls,


Music. This small, five letter word seems to inspire some of the greatest feelings inside of man, inside of me. Really, there isn't much that can change my emotion, remind me of a memory, or truly speak to me more than music. It moves me to so many emotions--laughter, tears, anger--all come from a simple four minutes of fluctuations of chords, voices, etc.I love music; I always have. However, nights like tonight remind me of the power of music. So let me explain to you the two types of musical power.


First type, emotion. So here I was, at Christian Challenge. Looking at the words appear on the screen, standing there, soaking up the words. The Desert Song by Hillsong (attaching it) was what was coming out of my vocal chords. And these words came up, "All of my life, in every season, You are still God. I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to worship." As I repeated these words, I couldn't help but smile. Like, honestly, I couldn't STOP smiling. And here's why:


I'm a singer. Am I good at it? Not so much. But nothing pulls me out of an emotional slump better than blasting some music, and singing my heart out. Often, when I'm really upset, I find myself chilling in my car (whether it be driving or just sitting), blaring the radio, and singing my heart out. So when I sang the line, "I have a reason to sing." I developed a great joy. God is my reason to sing. Say what? Well, my friends, this was such a simple realization, yet it really brought me great joy. Why? Because now, when I'm singing my heart out (in my car or in my hall), I will not allow anyone to quiet me. Because you can't quiet God. That would be silly. So, I will continue to sing my heart out, which is literally what I do. I felt like my bff, Jesus, was saying, "Lora, girl, sing that presh heart out for me." (Yes, sometimes I think Jesus shortens words for fun, too.)So you know what, I will. Music is power, lesson one.  


Second type, memory. Okay, I'm sure we all have that song that reminds us of that time, event, or person. Runaway Love by Ludacris still reminds me of the summer after 8th grade when I spent most of my time riding around in my sister's car, with her, feeling fly. Trading My Sorrows still reminds me of the first time I learned that Christians can act a fool. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison reminds me of my first dance at diabetes camp with my camp crush. You see, music triggers vivid memories.This can be great, yet I have recently found, it can also bring great frustration. There are recent purchased songs on my iTunes list that I truly enjoy, but I WILL not listen to. Why? Because they scream those memories that I wish would just flee from this interesting brain of mine. However, this goes the other way as well. I love to replay those songs that make me feel happy, revived, restored. And by replay, I mean play them over and over and over and over again. It's what I do. It's how I feel, express. 


So there you have it folks, the top two reasons why I believe music has power. Moral of the story: don't ride in my car with me unless you don't mind loud vocals. That's all. =) 


Keep Singing, 
The Lone Woolf

1 comment: