About Me

My photo
I love life. I love God. I love laughter. Yet I am far more complex than this.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

One more added to the clan. . . yesss.

My dearest followers,

How greatly excited I am to tell you about my new for today. Why? Because this one is a little personal, and EXTREMELY unexpected. I'm sick of the lead in...let me begin, for my excitement can be contained no longer!

So here we were, sitting at Don's. By we, I obviously mean, mom, Mitch, Aunt Shelley, Addie, and I. My family combined with my Don's family happens to be one of my favorite combinations...ever. Anyway, we were finishing up our dinner, I some nice shrimp with a side of cottage cheese, complete with a medium pepsi...regular pepsi. Odd combination, I know, but it really was delicious, and my diabetic self doesn't get that regular soda very often. I relished. In the soda. I didn't actually use relish, though I could see where you could get confused. Okay, on to the rest of the story.

We were finishing up, Addie was throwing out her best Justin Bieber impersonation--surprisingly, it was really, really good. Justin Bieber is just a hair more feminine. Ha, okay, sorry. I am getting easily distracted tonight. I just still catch myself laughing at Addie Bieber. Anyway, all of the sudden, someone walks in. I felt the cold breeze come rushing in behind me, and my mom said, "Well, hi! I've been hoping to meet you." WHat? Someone we don't know. That's strange. I didn't know that happened anymore. I mean, that is such a rare, rare occasion in Protection. So as I was trying to figure out who this possibly could be, my mom finished with," I'm glad you're here because I've been wanting Lora to meet you, too." At that moment, I quickly realized whom it was.

Weeks ago my mother had informed me of yet another newly diagnosed diabetic girl. This happens to be the second one in our community/surrounding communities in the last few months. I knew it had to be her. I quickly, turned around and jumped out of my chair. Somehow, I was semi-stuck, so that was mildly embarrassing, but when you're bad with first impressions, you learn to get over it quickly. Anyway, I jumped out of my chair and ran to the little girl, shook her hand, and introduced myself. She informed me of her name, and we quickly jumped to the conversation of diabetes. 

So it's important that you know this. I would never, never, EVER wish this lack of sufficient islet cells upon ANYONE. However, I will be the first person to talk as if it's not a big deal. Yes, people have even told me that I make diabetes sound fun. I'm not exactly sure how that happens because I will also be the first to tell you it's not fun. But you win some and you lose some, and my pancreas happened to lose this one. What better what to handle it than with some light-hearted fun? And what better way to make this fun than with another fellow diabetic?

Anyway, tonight I got to meet a new diabetic, and let her know that it isn't always fun, but it will be  okay. For all of you nons out there who only know my jokes, I'll have you know that at times it is really scary. At times it is so frustrating you cry. And at times...you just want to stab someone with every single used syringe you've ever encountered (this is a very, very high number might I add). And by 'you' I obviously mean me, I, etc. However, it can be fun. I cannot tell you how many times I catch myself rolling at the awkward looks I get when I leave my syringe lying on the table, or when I start popping glucose tabs in class as if they are the God's greatest gift to my tastebuds. Those time, are truly glorious. 

And don't worry fellow campers of mine, this newly diagnosed diabetic and I chatted about Camp Discovery--my home away from home. Most of you may have heard me refer to it as "diabetes camp". Yeah, that place. Let me once again accentuate that it is real. Anyway, I may have converted a new camper...I hope so. Because she was one of the spunkiest little girls I have ever encountered. Hooking her up with some needles and insulin could make her dangerous. So she needs camp. Just kidding...in a sense. 

Tonights new was fun. A fun, exciting way to end my night. The world continues to welcome more and more diabetics. Watch out, nons, we are taking over the world, but an awesome world it will be. =)

Protect those islets,
the Lone Woolf

Haha...a pancreas? I thought it may add a nice touch. Yeah, it does. 

2 comments:

  1. I gotta ask is this a functioning pancreas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st, That pancreas picture is awesome. I do really wish we had a productive, working one.. 2nd order of business, I am glad you clarified that this may be a future camper. Just three more and you may be a counselor this year! ;)

    ReplyDelete